Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Ethen Richardson and family

Sam Lee and Ethen Richardson were given the same diagnosis and prognosis on the same floor of the same hospital by the same doctor on July 26th, 2013.  They appeared on the front page of a Post and Courier news article earlier this year - side by side.  Our families have never met, yet, I have thought of Ethen and his family EVERY day since this whole nightmare began.  I feel connected to them.


When Ethen was hospitalized in December, I personally reached out to Brandy, Ethen's mom, and Todd, Ethen's dad, to offer our support.  Despite the fact that they were taking care of their very sick child, they responded almost immediately with their personal contact information.  They are selfless, loving, faithful and hopeful people.  All 15,000 of their Facebook supporters and undoubtedly thousands of others know that about them.

I must admit, when Sam was diagnosed with DIPG, I was certain his prognosis was terminal.  Because of the Richardson family, I am not so sure.  Because of the Richardson family, I believe in miracles.  Because of the Richardson family, I have hope.

I remember crying and praying when Ethen was hospitalized that he would wake up, would smile at his mother and father and brothers and sisters again.  And he did. Miracle. And I ashamed to admit I was surprised and amazed.  Ethen and his family have given our family strength.  They are an inspiration and I hope someday to meet them and look at them and share this sentiment face-to-face.

Ethen and his family are truly Sam's heroes.  Perhaps they are some of the most important heroes we have never had the opportunity to meet.  My heart breaks for their family today as they mourn the earthly loss of their son.  I am grateful Ethen is no longer sick and angered that our families have no other medical options to save our children.

I know I will think of Ethen and his family every day of my life and I mourn the loss of this beautiful, selfless and loving young man.

1 comment:

  1. Your account of Brandy and Todd is spot on. They are amazing people. Ethen's smile is so precious. I cannot imagine what you all are going through but I pray for you.

    ReplyDelete